To all our members,
Masters Swimming WA has been carefully watching the escalation of COVID-19 and convened an extraordinary board meeting last night to agree on a plan moving forward. This also coincided with the National Board of Management convening an urgent meeting yesterday afternoon to discuss the future of the Nationals.
The safety of our members is paramount and given that many of our members are in a high-risk categories, we feel we need to be extra cautious in the measures we take during this time. Observing what is happening in other countries around the world suggests it is highly likely that in the very short term, further restrictions will be applied so we would rather pre-empt this and take a decision now to keep our members informed and safe.
Below is the statement the National Board of Management has released today cancelling the National Championships.
On the back of their recommendations, the Masters Swimming WA board resolved to cancel all swim meets until 31st May. This date will be reviewed as the situation evolves over time.
This means the following Swim Meets will be CANCELLED:
- Melville LiveLighter Club Challenge on 22nd March
- LiveLighter Masters Swimming WA SC State Championships on 4th and 5th April
- Stadium LiveLighter Distance Meet on 2nd May
While we recognise this is incredibly disappointing for everyone, the health of our members remains paramount.
For those who have already entered the LiveLighter Masters Swimming WA SC State Championships, full refunds of your entry fees will be offered with the state body bearing the administration costs. Refunds will be organised automatically over this morning and funds should start to be received into members’ accounts at the end of the week.
Please note that the AGM this Wednesday 18th March at Royal Life Saving WA Training Room 1 WILL proceed. The room has hand sanitiser on entry and seating will be suitably arranged for social distancing. Food will not be served at the end as previously.
We would like to reiterate the measures outlined in our previous announcement:
- Please take all precautions as much as possible to avoid the spreading of this virus and seek medical advice if you are concerned about your health and well being
- Regularly wash hands or use sanitiser wherever possible
- Avoid physical contact (shaking hands etc) and incorporate ‘social distancing’ into your day to day life.
- If you have the slightest sniffle, cold or flu-like symptoms, please DO NOT attend club or masters swimming activities
- Follow the government mandate that all travellers from overseas arriving after midnight last night are required to self-isolate for 14 days. This is mandatory and failure to do so could incur fines of up to $50,000
- If you have come into contact with someone who has been diagnosed or who suspects they have the virus, please do not attend club activities
Masters Swimming WA will continue to monitor the situation as it evolves and communicate to our members as new information comes to light. In addition, our events calendar will constantly be under review throughout the year and decisions will be made depending on the situation at the time.
We wish all our members well during this very challenging time.
Masters Swimming WA